Throwback Thursday

Untitled

Hey everyone, I'm throwing back to this past Thanksgiving. I realized I never posted our table and our first shibori-ish project... probably because my mom and I were slightly bummed about the final result. Don't get me wrong, I love how our table looked, but our napkins and runners got a little washed out in the washing machine. Live and learn, right? Here's some more pictures though:

Untitled

I had been dying (no pun intended) to try my hands at the Japanese dyeing technique of shibori. We didn't use the traditional indigo dye, but rather blue RIT dye. We found a great post on Honestly WTF that helped with the fabric folding and tying.

Untitled

We dunked our fabric into a bucket of hot water and dye, and let them sit in it, stirring every so often, for about an hour.

Untitled

Then we untied them, and rinsed them out in the sink.

Untitled

Look at the lovely white that was retained!

Untitled

Untitled

We then washed them in the washing machine, and when we took them out we realized that the dye had spread to our beautiful white spots. It was so sad! We either didn't rinse the pieces enough in the sink first, or should have used a dye set with them in the wash, or should have let them completely dry before washing. Either way, it was a good learning experience, and it would be fun someday to try the real indigo dye!

I should also mention that my mom and sister did an amazing job sewing the napkins and table runners! They used a tutorial we found on Creative Bug for sewing mitered corners!

Overall, I loved how the table came out. I thought the orange pumpkins looked great against the blue, and the little pops of red candles and gold chargers really worked with the colors too.

Any of you have any RIT dye tips and tricks?!

Comments

  1. What a lot of work you had with the dyeing, but when you love doing something - all the hard work doesn't count so much! The blue table runner and orange pumpkins gives a lovely effect, also the gold under-plates! Well done for your decorations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You learn only when you try and make some mistakes, right?
    Btw, I find your set really nice!!!
    Happy weekend, xxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well laid out and seems a lot of thought went into the planning. Warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I love comments and will reply as soon as possible by email, or if you are a no-reply blogger, right under your comment in the post! Happy crafting! (If your comment doesn't show up on the site right away, don't panic! I have to moderate comments, so it may take some time for me to acknowledge that your comment isn't spam!)

Popular Posts